18 June 2013

Random Person of the Day - Mina Siems

As I continue to work on my colonial line, I present you with another random person from my files - Mina Siems.

I don't know much about Mina, because her life was cut tragically short.  She was born in June of 1871 in Bridgeport, Saginaw County, Michigan to Mecklenburg (Germany) immigrants John C. and Marie (Eggert) Siems.  She was their second child, with an older brother John E. born 4 years earlier.  After only 6.5 years, she died on 12 Jan 1878 in Bridgeport.  The cause of death was recorded as unknown.  She left behind her parents, brother John, and her younger brother Frederick, born in 1876.  The family then suffered another loss less than 2 years later, when Frederick died of diphtheria.

Mina is buried next to her brother and parents in the Oak Grove cemetery in Bridgeport.  Their last names are misspelled Sims on the childrens' headstones and Seams on the parents' memorial.  I was able to visit the cemetery and take photos, but they are on a different computer so here is a photo from findagrave contributor Sheila Cooper.  The inscription is in German.


No comments:

Post a Comment